Vera Zvonareva Forum - Russian Tennis Player - Two WTA titles holder - Go BEPA! Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Telecom Italia Masters Roma
cali

smile.gif posted on 8-5-2005 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Telecom Italia Masters Roma

Here's the draw for Rome:

Maria Sharapova vs bye
Alina Jidkova vs Medina Garrigue
Mary Pierce vs Shuai Peng
Qualifier vs Daniela Hantuchova

Elena Bovina vs Mashona Washington
Denisa Chladkova vs Roberta Vincin
Karolina Sprem vs Paola Suarez
Svetlana Kuznetsova vs bye

Elena Dementieva vs bye
Gesila Dulko vs Qualifier
Evgenia Linetskaya vs Tathiana Garbin
Flavia Pennetta vs Shinobu Asagoe

Tatiana Golovin vs Ana Ivanovic
Anna Chakvetdze vs Qualifier
Antonella Zanetti vs Anna-Lena Groenefeld
Patty Schnyder vs bye

Bepa Zvonareva vs bye
Dally Randriantefy vs Jelena Jankovic
Na Li vs Qualifier
Maria Elena Caremin vs Nathalie Dechy

Ai Sugiyama vs Magdalena Maleeva
Maria Vento Kabchi vs Virginie Rozzano
Meghann Shaughnessy vs Francessca Schiavone
Serena Williams vs bye

Nadia Petrova vs bye
Fabiola Zualuaga vs Qualifier
Conchita Martinez vs Qualifier
Anna Smashnova vs Elena Likhovtseva

Silvia Farina vs Maria Kirilenko
Nathalie Vierin vs Qualifier
Samathan Stosur vs Qualifier
Amelie Mauresmo vs bye
cali

posted on 8-5-2005 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote

Bye has always bee a tough first round opponent for Bepa for the past tournaments. I hope bye won't give her unnecessary trouble this time. :P

Seriously, Jankovic is another dangerous second round opponent for Bepa. But I hope (as we always do) that Bepa will now come out stronger and would come to the match fighting. I also hope the 6-2, 6-0 drubbing by Peschke has served its lesson for Bepa.

C'mon Bepa!
Sam

smile.gif posted on 8-5-2005 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote

I think what we've been seeing in Vera's last few matches is just a complete breakdown of confidence. Each loss compounds the problem. One of the things that makes tennis so interesting is the psychological and emotional battle, not only between opponents but within the player. With Vera, the 2nd round match has become crucial. She has to force herself to play her game and go for the points against the innate tendency to become defensive for fear of losing important points or games. Right now, the defensive impulse seems to be winning. And therefore losing. And the frustration only increases.

I have noticed one common element in all of Vera's losses since February. I haven't been there! Now it is too late to do anything about Rome or the French Open, but if you all want to take up a collection to send me to Wimbledon and obtain a ticket there, I will do everything possible to make sure Vera gets back on her game. ;) (Actually, since it's probably difficult to get a ticket for Wimbledon at this late date, I'm quite willing to go to Eastbourne instead). :)

Meanwhile, Vera, good luck in Rome. You still have the talent and the game. You can do it!

GO BEPA!!!
robert

posted on 9-5-2005 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote

Again most likely another tough 2nd round opponent for Vera. I also hope that the last singles loss was the point for Vera to get back on track, so that she got back the courage to fight and I also hope that the doubles title has given her a bit of confidence.
And I just saw that Vera plays with Elena in the doubles again. Thats great.
Nick_chicane

posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam

I have noticed one common element in all of Vera's losses since February. I haven't been there! Now it is too late to do anything about Rome or the French Open, but if you all want to take up a collection to send me to Wimbledon and obtain a ticket there, I will do everything possible to make sure Vera gets back on her game. ;) (Actually, since it's probably difficult to get a ticket for Wimbledon at this late date, I'm quite willing to go to Eastbourne instead). :)

GO BEPA!!!

Sam, you dont need to worry about Eastbourne cause i'll be there for that one!! :D

Wimbledon is a nightmare to get to!! Easily the hardest Grand Slam to get tickets for!! Most the time, the only way to get in is to queue on each day from about 3am in the morning, then you'll get in!! Other than that, there isnt any other way of getting tickets unless you enter a public ballot which draws a few people out to win some tickets and that closed back in February!! :(

Vera,if your reading this,say hi to us guys! We'd really love to hear from you!
Vera Zvonareva,quite possibly the most beautiful girl in the world!!
Nick_chicane

posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote

Yeah, Vera isnt having any luck with the draws at the moment!! If shes to face Jankovic then thats a player that made the semi final last week in Berlin so shes gonna be sky high with confidence so i have to say its gonna be incredibly tough for Vera if she does face Jankovic but we can all hope and pray at the end of the day!! :)

Sam

posted on 9-5-2005 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_chicane
[Wimbledon]...Most the time, the only way to get in is to queue on each day from about 3am in the morning, then you'll get in!!
No wonder the crowds are so subdued by the time the tennis starts! :)

Quote:
Sam, you dont need to worry about Eastbourne cause i'll be there for that one!! :D
In that case, we could have a cheering section!

GO BEPA!!!
ChristopherMM

posted on 9-5-2005 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote

Good Luck with your second round match Vera...

cmm--
Nick_chicane

posted on 9-5-2005 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Quote:
In that case, we could have a cheering section!

We could!! It was very quiet last year, there wasnt a single other Vera fan in there!! It made it very difficult to support her in the way i wanted to cause everyone else was just so quiet!! I wondered if they were asleep!! :D

Nick_chicane

posted on 9-5-2005 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_chicane
[Wimbledon]...Most the time, the only way to get in is to queue on each day from about 3am in the morning, then you'll get in!!
No wonder the crowds are so subdued by the time the tennis starts! :)

Yeah, it doesnt surprise me, i mean, Wimbledon is rediculously popular, like i said, people queue from like 3 in the morning and its not small queues, were talking pretty damn long ones!! :D

Simon Meadows

posted on 10-5-2005 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote

Once again Vera has been handed a tough draw. Jankovic is a very dangerous opponent as Vera well learnt from Linz last year. It is fair to say that Vera is now at a crisis point in her career despite holding down #10 in the world at the moment. The crisis being her attitude. We all know you are good enough Vera. One just does not lose the talent that you have overnight. OK you have done it tough in singles matches lately but with a little self belief you can dig yourself out of the hole you are in. I haven't lost faith in you and your abilities. Just go out and go for your shots against Jelena. See what you can do. You can do it. Go Vera :cool:
cali

posted on 10-5-2005 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote

I surely envy the guys who'll be at Eastbourne.

-----

Bepa has teamed up with Lena L again for the doubles. I hope they'll have good results again. :)
sachalandkroon

Mood: Fine

posted on 10-5-2005 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote

Did Vera play Rosmalen last year? I am planning to go there this year, but for a student, life is never really sure, so I might go, but I don't know yet.

Sam, I asked someone at a cartoonstore because I called Henin 'the aunt of Bob and Bobette' last week. I gave you the wrong translation, Bob and Bobette is french, in Dutch we call them Suske en Wiske and in English they're called Spike and Suzy, maybe that rings a bell. If it doesn't, I'll attachts a picture of their aunt. Not that is matters, but just for fun....;)

Theres a somebody Im longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone wholl watch over me
Im a little lamb whos lost in the wood
I know I could always be good
If someone could just watch over me

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
sachalandkroon

posted on 10-5-2005 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote

Hey, I wondered, where's Paul lately? Isn't he around anymore?:(

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Sam

smile.gif posted on 10-5-2005 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote

Sacha, Vera did not play the Ordina Open last year, if that's the one you're referring to. She went from Rome to R-G to Eastbourne to Wimbledon.

Vera's match tomorrow is the 3rd match on Pallacorda Court, prob. about 3pm. Elena D. plays first on that court. Kuznetsova lost today.

C'monnnnnn Bepa!!! You can do it!!
sachalandkroon

posted on 11-5-2005 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote

Woooow, I can't believe it, Vera leading 6/4 4/1 at the moment. Huh?

cali

posted on 11-5-2005 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote

Vera won: 6-4, 6-1. I think she's finally turning around. :)

My late nights following Vera's matches have finally paid off. :cool:

Well done Vera!
Sam

biggrin.gif posted on 11-5-2005 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote

YES!!! BEPA has broken the 2nd round curse!

It was a fine match, from the looks of things. I could only follow it on the internet, but here are my impressions:

It started out kind of ragged for both players, with Vera holding serve to start, and breaking JJ on her serve. JJ broke back, and it was 2-1 Vera. 2 more breaks and a hold by Vera and it was 5-1. The next game saw the first deuce with Vera at match point. Ad JJ and Vera was broken with her first double fault in the set, for 5-2 Vera.

Now you just know Vera had a meltdown at this point. :D JJ held next, then broke Vera at love, for 5-4 Vera. The final game of that set with Jankovic serving was 15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 30-30,40-30, deuce, Ad JJ, deuce, Ad Vera, break for the Set! Somewhere in the previous game Vera had another double fault, I didn't see where. It is great that she could fight her way through that last game, because you know she was still upset about the break 3 games earlier!

There was a long delay between sets, it seemed. Altho' I can't remember now if the delay was between sets, or at 3-0 Vera in the 2nd set. I think it was between.

The 2nd set began the same way the 1st ended. Vera serving, 15-0, 15-15, 30-15 (ACE!), 30-30, 40-30, deuce, Ad JJ, deuce, Ad JJ, deuce, Ad Vera, game for 1-0. Now you know that JJ was feeling the pressure at this point. Vera broke her at 15-40, and came back to hold at love for 3-0. JJ held the next game after 10 pts, including a deuce, BP, and a deuce. (I was afraid Vera might lose it again at this point, but she must have remained calm.) Vera took the next game in 6 pts. A crucial game for both players next: JJ serving, 15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 30-30, 40-30, deuce, Ad JJ, deuce, Ad Vera, break for 5-1 Vera. Vera then served it out with ease: 15-0, 30-0, 40-0 (Ace!), 40-15, and a final Ace for the match! :D 6-4, 6-1, and no double faults in the 2nd set. This has to be a great match for Vera!!

WAY TO GO, BEPA!! WE KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!
cali

posted on 11-5-2005 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote

Great breakdown of the game Sam! :D The delay was during 3-0 of the second set. I honestly thought that Vera would have another meltdown during the first set when the score became precariously close at 5-4 and when JJ had the Ad. Luckily Vera was able to regroup and take the set. :cool:
Sam

posted on 11-5-2005 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by cali
I honestly thought that Vera would have another meltdown during the first set when the score became precariously close at 5-4 and when JJ had the Ad.

Yes, you could tell she was battling herself at that point. If she'd lost that game, I think it might have been all over. Thankfully, she was able to hang in there and take control. Were you able to see the match on TV? Or did anyone here?
cali

posted on 11-5-2005 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote

I also followed it online Sam!
sachalandkroon

posted on 11-5-2005 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote

I was able to watch the last two games (hurrah!) on television. Eurosport broadcasted it after the Giro d'Italia. Amazing to see her play for the first time this year, I am totally happy right now, and I think she performed really well. JJ had no chance in the last game with two aces from Vera.
It is really good to see such a beautiful girl (although Jankovic is also a pretty one) play very well in such a beautiful stadium in a beautiful city like Rome (I've never been there but anyway..).
I think we all needed this guys:):):)

Sam

smile.gif posted on 12-5-2005 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote

Vera plays the first match tomorrow at 1pm on Pallacorda, against Catalina Castano. Vera has not previously played the 26-year-old Colombian, who is currently ranked #95.

Now I don't know what kind of scheduling this is, but Vera & Elena are also scheduled for their doubles as the 2nd match on court #6, against Janet Lee & Shuai Peng. I guess that's called double duty.

So let's see. 1pm on Pallacorda Court, and about 2pm on Court 6. Perhaps they didn't notice, but Vera's match today took 1h 30m. What do you think? Can she roll through 2 matches in 2 hours straight? Maybe that's good scheduling for her? She'd be all warmed up for the doubles, I guess. ;)

GO BEPA!!! GO BEPA!!!
robert

posted on 12-5-2005 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote

http://weddingchat.com/images/smilies/clap2.gif
So thats really great that she won this and especially that she was able to stay focused when it got close again in the first and then seemed to show a great performance in the 2nd. I guess the doubles title last week must have given her lots of confidence.
She must feel so great (just as everyone here I guess). So I hope that she can manage both matches today in such a short time.
Simon Meadows

posted on 12-5-2005 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote

Well done Vera,that is more like it:) Now the next challenge is to go into the next match with the same intent and focus. Castano is a bit of a journey woman but is no slouch on clay so Vera just needs to be ready to go.
Really pleased about todays result but as I think we all agree, there is still some unfinished business here. All the best for both of your matches tomorrow Vera. You can do it :cool:
Nick_chicane

posted on 12-5-2005 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote

At last, some good news!! I followed the match on the scorebaord and she certainly looked to be pretty comfortable!! What a difference a few days can make!! Lets just hope now that Vera can continue this and gain some momentum going into the French Open!! Its certainly a good start though against a very much inform player!! Well done Vera!! :)

cali

posted on 12-5-2005 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote

Vera won again! 6-1, 5-7, 6-2. I was only able to follow the last set. Castao really gave Vera a hard time in the second set. But it's nice that Vera regrouped and pull through the match. Well done Vera. :)

I hope you have enough energy left for the doubles match!

Davai Vera!
sachalandkroon

posted on 12-5-2005 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote

Yesssssss, now I can go to college peacefully:)

Sam

thumbup.gif posted on 12-5-2005 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote

Excellent, Vera! I didn't get to follow her singles match, but the stats look pretty good. Great stats in the 1st set, looks like she lost concentration in the 2nd set. 93% 1st serve pts in the 3rd set, even tho she had 2 DF in that set. (there's a bit of an anomaly in the stats -- it says she won 14 of 15 first serve pts, but had 2 DF?) Whatever. The good part is she came back strong in the 3rd set after losing a close 2nd set. Shows good emotional control. :D

2h 16m for the match; obviously they did some rescheduling of the doubles, so maybe I'll get to follow that match. I'm guessing they'll play "after a suitable rest."

Next up is either Sugiyama or Schiavone. I see Mauresmo has defeated Farina Elia, which is too bad. I would have liked her to have made one more level on her home turf.

What do you think? The Telecom Italian Masters site looks pretty good this year. In the past it's been somewhat incomprehensible.

GO BEPA!!!
Nick_chicane

posted on 12-5-2005 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote

Excellent, i got to follow the 1st set and Vera played pretty well!! One interesting thing that the Eurosport commentators mentioned was that a media statement had been round that Vera had split with Lex, though as they pointed out during the 1st set, Lex was still in the stands and Vera still seemed to be gesturing towards him so im not sure whats going on there!! I guess time will tell!!

At least thats another win under her belt and clearly it turned out to be a tough one cause when i went to work, Vera was comfortable and looked like running away with the match but at least she was able to regroup and not throw it away like she may have done a couple of tournaments ago!! Overall, very pleased, its nice to have the old Vera back!! :)

Sam

smile.gif posted on 12-5-2005 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote

Vera plays Francesca Schiavone in the 2nd match on Central Court, about 2pm. Then she and Elena play a doubles QF against Dulko & Vento-Kabchi, the last match on Pallacorda, scheduled about 4pm.

Vera's 2-0 against #26 Schiavone, but Francesca's on a roll with the home crowd, so it could be a tough match.

Here is a pic of Vera from Telecom Italia Master's site:

GO BEPA!!!!

Sam has attached this image:
Vera_Rome05-1.jpg - 38.03kb
robert

posted on 13-5-2005 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote

Yeah, Nick, its great to have the "old Vera" back. Its great to see that she was able to get focused again after the tough 2nd set. I hope she will be able to show a good performance again today against Schiavone and that playing both singles and doubles wont be too much for her.

Oh, and Sam, youre right about the site of the tournament. It definitely looks a lot better than last year.
sachalandkroon

posted on 13-5-2005 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote

First set in the pocket! 7-5:cool:

ChristopherMM

posted on 13-5-2005 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote

Good 1st set for Vera...

cmm--

Hey sacha
ChristopherMM

posted on 13-5-2005 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote

Looks like Vera is up 2 - 0 in the 2nd set!
ChristopherMM

posted on 13-5-2005 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote

5 - 5 in the 2nd set, I hope she can close it out...
Simon Meadows

posted on 13-5-2005 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote

Excellent. Vera has just won 7/5 7/6. Great work Vera :). She will play Mauresmo in Semis. All the best for that match Vera and good luck in the doubles with Elena.
cali

posted on 13-5-2005 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote

Vera won: 7-5, 7-6 (7-4). It was a tight match. It seems that the crowd really got into Francesca and Vera. Luckily, Vera was able to win the match!

Go Vera and good luck on the doubles match with Lena L! :cool:
ChristopherMM

posted on 13-5-2005 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote

Great job Vera... She pulled it out in the 2nd 7 - 6....
Nick_chicane

posted on 13-5-2005 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote

This is great news!! A good run like this is just what she needs going into the French Open!! Thank god shes found some form at last!! :)

Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top