Vera Zvonareva Forum - Russian Tennis Player - Two WTA titles holder - Go BEPA! Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Where is Everyone?
Nick_chicane

sad.gif posted on 10-8-2005 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Where is Everyone?

Where have you all gone? This place has been dead for at least 2-3 weeks now with only a couple of people checking back every now and again. howcome youve all deserted the forum? :(

Am i gonna have to find a new home? I still have plenty to say but theres no one here to say it to!!

Vera,if your reading this,say hi to us guys! We'd really love to hear from you!
Vera Zvonareva,quite possibly the most beautiful girl in the world!!
sachalandkroon

Mood: Fine

posted on 11-8-2005 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote

Hi, I am here:P
No Nick, lets be honest, what do we have to talk about lately? It is just one big lot of misery, week in week out. And I mean, it is not only Vera who is doing bad at the moment, Kuznetsova, Myskina and Dementieva don't do any better. This whole 2005 season is (in my opinion) just completely fucked up. I saw Vera play one little time this whole year, at the tournament in Rome, after that I never saw a minute of her again. It is not that I don't want to talk, I just don't know anything to talk about. Of course we are all very loyal fans and we wish our Russian idol the best of luck, but it's all kind of dissappointing at the moment. Not that I get any less fanatic about her when she plays bad, but I'd like her to wake up right now, start playing a little more agressive, like the American 'girls'. Not that I have (or we) have plans to abandon her but she seems to be losing media-attention and respect lately. I mean we were already fans, but who is becoming a Vera-fan these days? The only reason to become fan of her today is that you find her attractive, but that doesn't count. A real tennisfreak searches for talent (it is nice that she's goodlooking but not the main reason I am a fan). We know she's got talent , the only thing is that she doesn't show her strength, her power, her talent and her kindness. All she shows is tears, weakness and off-days and bad moods. Why should neutral people like her? That's not the way to become the worlds number 1, and I still believe she can be nr. 1 some day.
Just like you said before Nick, I didn't mean to be harsh or something, but me must face reality.
Take care everybody (I actually mean VERA!)

Theres a somebody Im longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone wholl watch over me
Im a little lamb whos lost in the wood
I know I could always be good
If someone could just watch over me

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
sachalandkroon

posted on 11-8-2005 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote

Stupid, I forgot my own one-year-anniversary on this forum.
Vera, please give me something to celebrate! Please...

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Nick_chicane

posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote

Whether shes winning or losing, people shouldnt desert the forum!! Youve got to take the rough with the smooth!! I know theres not much to talk about BUT people shouldnt just stop showing their faces totally!! Seems more like people are only interested in her when shes doing well and that disappoints me!! :(

sachalandkroon

posted on 11-8-2005 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote

You're right, but there is one little thingy that you forget. Sometimes I don't log in becasue I don't feel like posting, but that doesn't mean I don't visit this site everyday. I always check if there is news on Vera. The thing I wanted to make clear is that the media overhere don't seem to care about her at all, I mean the textpages did't even tell us she injured her ankle. I had to read that right here on this site. I can't even find her ranking at the moment, not on Dutch nor on Belgian text. They seem to forget about Vera and that can't be good.

sachalandkroon

posted on 11-8-2005 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote

We've seen enough stories about incredibly talented players like Jelena Dokic and Daniela Hantuchova who did lose control over their carreers. Daniela could manage to come back after a difficult time but what do we hear about Jelena lately? I am not being pessimistic, but losing to someone like Meghann Shaughnessy or Shuai Peng may just not happen to someone with Vera's capacities. My advise is to let her play way less tournaments in a season, that is what I call the Venus Williams-effect. Venus plays effective, she does not play too much, saves time for other things that matter in life and wins on the moments she wants to win. That is not the most professional way to do it but it we've seen that it works, and that is good for the selfconfidence, the bankaccount and for the ranking.

Simon Meadows

posted on 11-8-2005 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote

Hi Guys. I'm still about. Have been checking in everyday but not posting.
It's a difficult time for Vera at the moment,but like you guys, I'm not giving up on her. I guess one small positive is that she is now #9 in doubles rankings. Her singles ranking is falling rapidly at the moment but I believe as you said Nick that she needs to pick carefully the tournaments that she plays in. Stick to the tier I & II events. Mental toughness has got to be the key for Vera. She needs to show more of that rather than the fragile tear-stricken girl that turns up too often. I also agree with you Sacha, I am also a fan of Vera because of her talents with the racquet. Ever since I saw her that time at the French Open when she came through as a qualifier and pushed Serena W to 3 sets, I became a fan and still am.
I saw in despatches that she is pulling out of Toronto but playing in New Haven. Looking forward to seeing her back ;)
Nick_chicane

posted on 12-8-2005 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by sachalandkroon
We've seen enough stories about incredibly talented players like Jelena Dokic and Daniela Hantuchova who did lose control over their carreers. Daniela could manage to come back after a difficult time but what do we hear about Jelena lately? I am not being pessimistic, but losing to someone like Meghann Shaughnessy or Shuai Peng may just not happen to someone with Vera's capacities. My advise is to let her play way less tournaments in a season, that is what I call the Venus Williams-effect. Venus plays effective, she does not play too much, saves time for other things that matter in life and wins on the moments she wants to win. That is not the most professional way to do it but it we've seen that it works, and that is good for the selfconfidence, the bankaccount and for the ranking.

First of all, Jelena's problems are more personal than tennis problems!! Its all down to her family life that shes become so bad!! Tennis obviously takes a back seat when it comes to problems at home!!

Secondly, im glad Vera doesnt get any media attention, no one is gonna like having cameras following you around everywhere like they do with Sharapova, im sure Vera thinks the same, it means she can get on with her career in peace and quiet!!

Thirdly, Peng beat Clijsters last week in straight sets so she cant be that bad!!

sachalandkroon

posted on 12-8-2005 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Origineel gepost door Nick_chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by sachalandkroon

First of all, Jelena's problems are more personal than tennis problems!! Its all down to her family life that shes become so bad!! Tennis obviously takes a back seat when it comes to problems at home!!

Secondly, im glad Vera doesnt get any media attention, no one is gonna like having cameras following you around everywhere like they do with Sharapova, im sure Vera thinks the same, it means she can get on with her career in peace and quiet!!

Thirdly, Peng beat Clijsters last week in straight sets so she cant be that bad!!

First of all: you are absolutely right with your three points. But I didn't mean things the way you point them out.

Point 1: Jelena was just an example of what can go wrong with players, I wasn't talking about the kind of problems she had/has because I don't even know why it went so wrong with her.

Point 2: I was not talking about camera's following Vera, what I meant was the fact that they don't even tell us news about her, because they don't see her as a top-player. I mean, when Davenport or Clijsters breaks a nail we can already read it.

Point 3: I didn't say Peng was bad, of course she's not, but you may expect that higher ranked players beat lower ranked ones. And indeed I forgot to say that Clijsters of all people may absolutely not lose to someone like Peng. (But I didn't reallty mind about that;)

We seem to have a little discussion again on the forum and that is what matters. :P Thanks for that!

Nick_chicane

posted on 13-8-2005 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah, well it doesnt take much to get a conversation going, you just need the people to get it going with!! :)

Vera is still listed as playing Montreal next week so thats a good sign, hopefully it will stay that way!! :)

sachalandkroon

posted on 13-8-2005 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote

Will that be broadcasted somewhere sometime so that we can finally see her and cheer for her again?

Nick_chicane

posted on 14-8-2005 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote

I think Eurosport will probably have it!! Though, as usual, they'll just show the later rounds!!

Simon Meadows

posted on 14-8-2005 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote

Hey Nick and Sacha. Looks like she won't play Montreal or New Haven now according to some of the press coming out of the USA. Looks like her ankle is worse than people first thought. Hopefully all is well for the US open
sachalandkroon

posted on 15-8-2005 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote

Hi Simon,
That doesn't sound very good. On the other hand, we are not used to hearing that Vera is injured, I mean a lot of players have injuries but our Vera plays almost every week so at least for me it is new that she can't play a while because of an injurie. Get well soon Vera!

Nick_chicane

posted on 15-8-2005 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah, Vera has had alot of luck with injuries so far in her career, but it really would be a mssive disappointment if she had to miss the US Open, lets just pray it doesnt come down to that!! :(

robert

posted on 16-8-2005 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote

Hi there!

I was on a hiking-trip for three weeks, so I didnt come here. This is my first day back at my office again, so I came here to find this place rather deserted as you said, Nick.
Tomorrow I also wont be able to come here because Ill be working in my new flat to make everything ready for the move. But after that Ill be back on a regular base again.

At the place where I had my room during the hiking-trip there was a TV with teletext so I could read about her early loss 3 weeks ago and her 3 withdraws, but I knew nothing about the reason until I read it here today.
Poor Vera! First all those early losses and now that!
I just hope that she will recover fully soon and that she will be able to relax from the tennis circus now that she cant play, so that well see an all "new" Vera when shell play again.

I hope that at least everyone else is fine!
Nick_chicane

posted on 20-8-2005 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote

Well its good to see you back robert, unfortunately, there arent many of the original people left here now, alot of people seem to have given up on Vera cause shes going through a bad patch!! Very annoying!! :(

Simon Meadows

posted on 22-8-2005 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote

Still hoping for some positive news about Vera's injury. Have any of you guys heard anything? Really hope she will come up for the US open. Fingers crossed. Vera's ranking fell to #19. This is unfortunate as she suffers from this injury setback. Look forward to seeing you back soon Vera
Nick_chicane

posted on 22-8-2005 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote

Yeah, we really need her at the US Open cause her ranking is really starting to suffer, she could fall out of the top 20 this week!! :(

robert

posted on 22-8-2005 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_chicane
Well its good to see you back robert, unfortunately, there arent many of the original people left here now, alot of people seem to have given up on Vera cause shes going through a bad patch!! Very annoying!! :(

Well, "real" fans will never give her up, so I wont worry about others leaving.

It was just clear that she will drop even more now in the rankings cause of her injury, but whats most important now is that she will recover fully. Then we will see and hope that she can come back stronger.
Nick_chicane

posted on 22-8-2005 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote

Well theres no denying that we've lost alot of people from this forum since i first joined!! :( This place used to be packed with people!!

robert

posted on 23-8-2005 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote

So I guess either they cant come here anymore (too busy, no access to the net anymore) or they just have been "fans" during the time that Vera has been playing well, rising in the rankings and getting to her top ranking position.
Nick_chicane

posted on 23-8-2005 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote

My monies on the latter!! :(

Just wait, once Vera starts playing well again, they'll start flooding back!! Not real fans!! :(

andrewbroad

posted on 23-8-2005 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Real fans

A real fan is someone who has taken an irrevocable vow to support her forever. Or one could just be a casual demi-fan, as I was of Bepa from June 2003 to December 2004 - which is good in its way, but means that one is not ready for that level of commitment.

Now that I have inducted Bepa into my eternal fanship, I don't plan to disappear unless (a) there's no longer anything to talk about regarding Bepa, (b) I become too busy to post on the Internet, or (c) I die.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member andrewbroad's Yahoo
Nick_chicane

posted on 24-8-2005 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote

I dont question your support one bit andrew, the detail of your reports is enough evidence to how much you follow Vera!! :)

Its just a few others!!

robert

posted on 24-8-2005 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewbroad
I don't plan to disappear unless (a) there's no longer anything to talk about regarding Bepa, (b) I become too busy to post on the Internet, or (c) I die.

Its the same with me.

Come on real Vera fans, even if we seem to be a small group, raise your hand, show that youre still out there and that you care for her and her tennis. We would never let her down! :cool:
sachalandkroon

posted on 24-8-2005 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote

There are three student-tennisclubs in Groningen: TAM, G.S.T.C and Veracket. A few weeks ago I subscribed to join VERAcket, does that say enough? You want more? Okay, we have two little birds in our home, I won't bother you with the fact that we named one Kim, the other one is called Vera. I hope this is enough proof that she's always on my mind.
And since I don't plan to die in the near future and I have always some time left, I think I'll stick around for a little while guys.

sachalandkroon

posted on 24-8-2005 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote

Why is Vera not on the Us Open draw?:o:(

Simon Meadows

posted on 24-8-2005 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote

Just saw this:

Russian misses US Open
From correspondents in New York
August 25, 2005
RUSSIAN Vera Zvonareva, who would have been the 19th seed, has withdrawn from next week's US Open

Zvonareva cited a twisted ankle, sustained at the WTA Tour event in San Diego earlier this month

Her withdrawal meant that Spain's Anabel Medina-Garrigues was promoted to the 32nd seeding when the draw was made today (AEST)

This is a real blow. Very sad for Vera to miss a Grand Slam tournament. I guess her ankle is far worse than originally thought. Hopefully she is getting the best of treatment and will be back soon. Get well Vera and keep your chin up.
In response to all you guys here, I'm not going anywhere. You stick with someone through thick and thin. Vera is doing it tough at the moment, but she will pull through
robert

posted on 25-8-2005 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote

of course its sad to see that Vera also has to withdraw from the US Open, but as I said before, the most essential thing now is a full recovery. So, take the time that you need, Vera!
Sam

sad.gif posted on 25-8-2005 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote

This is very bad news for her fans and it must be terrible for Vera!

When I spoke with Elena L. at San Diego, she was fairly confident that Vera would be playing in New York, as was the WTA official I spoke with later that evening. In fact, when I left San Diego, Vera's name was still on the commitment list for Toronto. So Vera's injury must be quite severe, as in fact it seemed to me when she was leaving the court. Truly bad luck for our Vera! And an additional disappointment for me, as I was not able to see Vera before she left, and was unable to get a second photo with her.

Get well soon, BEPA! Your bright blue eyes and winsome smile are greatly missed! But we are waiting for you. Take time to rest. :)

To get in on some of the past conversation here, Nick, when Vera's not playing there isn't a lot to talk about on her forum. But, if you want to say something, say it anyway. Someone will respond, I'm sure. Tho it may take a while as in my case. E.g., upon returning from San Diego, I brought a sort of bronchial infection with me that hit me Sunday evening, right before my flight back on Monday. On top of that, I had customers to take care of who developed problems during the 10 days I was at the Acura. I did check the forum every couple days, but did not have time to respond to your question (plus, you knew where I was :), or had been), or to other comments.

I don't think the situations of Hantuchova and Dokic have any resemblance to Vera's. Vera's hit a slump and a very bad run of luck. She's got the heart and determination to come back out of it, along with the talent. Daniela was not only emotionally fragile (as Vera sometimes has been, tho she's improving in that regard), but she was under a lot of pressure and scrutiny concerning her physical condition. Fortunately, she's come out of all that. Jelena had tremendous pressure from problems with her father and the rest of her family. (Jelena was going with an Argentinian race car driver -- or maybe he was Brazilian -- whom her father didn't like. He went so far as to tell the media that she was on drugs (!!), because of this driver and his friends. Everytime Jelena started to make a bit of a comeback, Damir was saying or doing some outrageous thing. No wonder poor Jelena's almost disappeared from sight. Except for Indian Wells, Jelena has only played Tier IV and ITF tournaments this year. I thought Damir got a bad rap a few years ago when he was ejected from the U.S. Open, but over the last couple years he's pretty much destroyed her confidence and career. I hope she can come back. Too much talent to be wasted like that.)

The loss to Shaughnessy was bound to occur at some point (Vera had 3 consecutive wins against her prior to that, 2 of them this year), and Peng Shuai is a formidable opponent, as Kim learned in San Diego, and as Nick noted.

The media and commentators are always going to focus on the splashier players, so Vera will not get much notice from them until she takes down a couple of them. Which is ok, I agree with Nick that it's better for her. The downside to that, I suppose, is that big endorsements don't accompany small publicity. Then again, big money makes big demands. Most important for Vera is just to be herself.

Get well soon, BEPA!
Nick_chicane

posted on 25-8-2005 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote

Well its good to see you alll posting again!! :)

That is a massive disappointment about the US Open, it kinda makes the tournament a little boring for me now!! The other down side is that its gonna hurt Vera's ranking alot which must be tough for the player themselves to see them sliding down and not being able to do a thing about it!!

But its better that she get all the rest she can cause when she get back shes gonna have an awful lot of work to do to get herself back anywhere near she was before!!

Get well soon Vera!!

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top