Vera Zvonareva Forum - Russian Tennis Player - Two WTA titles holder - Go BEPA! Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Advanta Championships - Philadelphia
Sam

posted on 29-10-2005 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Advanta Championships - Philadelphia

The draw is out for Philly:
http://www.advantachampionships.com/documents/MainSinglesDraw.pdf

Vera will play Mariana Diaz-Oliva in the 1st round, and...
yes, Elena Dementieva awaits in the 2nd round. Elena still has a chance of getting into the YEC.

The luck of the draw is holding constant for Vera. The 3rd round holds the prospects of Peschke (again), Schnyder, Karatantcheva, or Craybas.

I hope your shoulder has recovered, Vera. You need a good rest after this tournament to come back strong in January.

Good luck in Philly next week. GO BEPA!!
Simon Meadows

posted on 30-10-2005 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote

Schnyder has pulled out of Atlanta and Vera has been elevated to #9 seed. I think her draw is even worse now. She plays Karatancheva and will have either Peschke or Craybas waiting for her, neither of whom Vera has had any joy against, but young Sesil first up is tough enough. Let's see how it pans out. She and Lena are playing doubles and are in the same half as Raymond/Stosur.
Sam

posted on 31-10-2005 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote

The good side of the reshuffling of the draw is that now Vera and Elena D. don't have to play each other until the 3rd round.

Sesil is a good little player, but I think sometimes she starts with a big first set, and then fades. Vera will need to be agressive from the start and keep on her game all the way through. They have not played before.

Craybas is 1-0 against Vera, so she would be less of a mental hurdle to overcome, I would guess. Based on Andrew's report, Peschke is about due for a letdown :). She can't get 4 in a row?!! No matter, Vera needs a convincing win over her the next time they meet.

GO BEPA!!!
andrewbroad

posted on 31-10-2005 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
Andrew's preview

=====================
ADVANTA CHAMPIONSHIPS (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; indoor hard; WTA Tier II)
=====================

An important tournament for Bepa coming up this week. She mustn't play Philadelphia in the frame of mind that she's desperate to defend her runner-up points from last year. That would surely lead to one of her notorious emotional meltdowns.

Instead, she must be inspired by positive memories of the brilliant tennis she played at Philadelphia 2004 when, needing to beat Jennifer Capriati to qualify for the WTA Tour Championships, she dismantled her 6-0 6-1 and went on to reach the final.

Bepa was originally drawn to play Mariana Diaz-Oliva in the first round - a match I was confident of Bepa winning - but the withdrawal of Patty Schnyder (with a left-hand contusion) means Bepa has been moved to face the bumptious (but kind of cute - I don't dislike her) 16-year-old Sesil Karatantcheva, who can be very dangerous, but also loves to be fed bagels and breadsticks (particularly when they're made of raw dough).

And who would be Bepa's second-round opponent in this new draw than her nemesis Kveta Peschke! :mad: This is worse than Bepa having to face Elena Dementieva in the second round (against whom she suffered her most infamous meltdown, losing 1-6 6-4 6-3 in 4r US Open 2004). Dementieva lost to Peschke 6-3 7-5 at Linz, after Peschke beat Bepa 7-5 7-5.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member andrewbroad's Yahoo
robert

posted on 31-10-2005 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote

And again, no real luck with the draw. But first let´s hope that she can win over Karatantcheva.

Btw, to add something about last weeks tournament: Too bad that Vera didn´t take part in the fashion show like some other players. Even Petrova took part and I think Vera would have looked great.
Nick_chicane

posted on 31-10-2005 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote

Unfortunately, thats the bad thing about dropping in the rankings, your dished out tough draws all the time!! Vera's gonna have to dig hard and try and find some wins so that she can push herself back up to where the draws get abit easier!! Until then, shes just gonna have to grin and bare it!! :(

Vera,if your reading this,say hi to us guys! We'd really love to hear from you!
Vera Zvonareva,quite possibly the most beautiful girl in the world!!
andrewbroad

posted on 1-11-2005 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_chicane
Unfortunately, thats the bad thing about dropping in the rankings, your dished out tough draws all the time!!

I find it ironic that Bepa's first two rounds look tougher now than before she was promoted to 9th seed and moved in the draw.

It was a similar story at Warsaw this year, when Bepa was moved to the top of the draw, only to lose her opening match to Ana Ivanovic.

So a higher seeding doesn't necessarily give you an easier draw. You have to play well enough to justify your seeding, and unfortunately Bepa has really struggled to do so this year.

A lower ranking may actually help Bepa by taking the pressure off her, and giving her more chances to pull off some upsets rather than suffer them herself.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member andrewbroad's Yahoo
Nick_chicane

posted on 1-11-2005 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote

Vera lost 7/5 6/3 :(

What a dreadful end to an awful year!! :(

Simon Meadows

posted on 1-11-2005 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah a really unfortunate end to (lets face it) a very forgettable year. I hope Vera can go home, have a good rest and come into 2006 with a good frame of mind and select her tournaments more carefully. I must admit that I hope they don't play in the doubles in LA(of course it will be great if they do-don't get me wrong), I'm just hoping Vera will realise her potential and not waste her substantial talent. It would be such a pity.
robert

posted on 2-11-2005 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote

So at least the that was the last single match for Vera this year, the last suffering, the last upset. So I hope she´ll at least be able to have fun playing in the doubles now and then she (and we all) should forget about this year quickly and she should have a good rest and next year when noone (except us real fans) expect anything from her she´ll be passed out a new chance.
Nick_chicane

posted on 2-11-2005 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote

Well lets just hope we see a difference come 2006, i dont think i could handle another year like this one!! :(

I just hope were gonna see more of the tennis that got her up to number 10 cause we've seen very little of it this year!!

Sam

posted on 2-11-2005 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote

The entire year wasn't bad. Vera reached QF in Pattaya, Amelia Island and Tokyo, the SF in Rome, and she won Memphis for the 2nd time in a row.

The problems started immediately afterward at the Pacific Life, where she suddenly pulled out with strep throat, which may really have been the viral infection finally discovered in August. The frustrations of the ensuing 6 months coupled with the 2 injuries and bad luck she's had in the draws for the last 2 or 3 tournaments leaves her with a 21-21 record for the year. Which wouldn't be bad if it were baseball (.500), but we know it's not up to Vera's exacting standards and capability.

The bright spot for her has been her doubles play, where she's 29-13 before Philadelphia, and where she can still qualify with Likhovtseva for L.A. Vera and Lena play Craybas and Woehr right after Elena D.'s match, where Elena just took the first set 6-3 against Angelika Bachmann.

I agree with An that Vera should play fewer tournaments, and now she won't have the pressure to play to defend points. She will need to pick choicer tournaments, and come back swinging.

GO BEPA!!!
robert

posted on 3-11-2005 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote

Vera and Lena won their first round doubles match with no problems at all. Today they´ll play they´re 2nd round match against Alves/Rolle, which also shouldn´t be too hard to win.
Ilovevera

posted on 4-11-2005 at 04:00 AM Reply With Quote

Please join my fantasy tennis Forum with your favorite player *Vera*;)

Thanks in advance guys!!:)

Heres the link:
http://s14.invisionfree.com/WFTL/index.php?act=index
robert

posted on 4-11-2005 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote

And another win in 2 straight sets yesterday for Vera and Lena, that means they made will compete in LA next week. So no rest until the end of next week for Vera, but I think that´s not too bad because reaching the YEC surely gave her a lot of confidence back and I guess she enjoys playing doubles much more than singles at the moment, so it´s great that they made it. Even if they will just be able to play one match there, but who knows, maybe we´ll see an upset there at the end of the year. Today they have a day off, cause their opponents for the semis haven´t been determined yet.
Nick_chicane

posted on 4-11-2005 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote

Well well done to both Vera and Elena for making the YEC but it certainly doesnt hide the fact its been a shocking year!! :(

Simon Meadows

posted on 5-11-2005 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote

Despite what I said in my earlier post, well done to both Vera and Elena for the YEC( I guess I let out a little bit of frustration about Vera's singles results). Still a fine effort and good luck to them. I'm just glad that this year is finished for Vera(singles at least) and she can have fun in LA. All the best girls ;)
andrewbroad

posted on 6-11-2005 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Philadelphia: Andrew's tournament-review

=====================
ADVANTA CHAMPIONSHIPS (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; indoor hard; WTA Tier II)
=====================
Photos
------

Bepa and her recent opponents:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=zvonareva

slyde2's Philadelphia photos:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=202595

-----------
First round
-----------

- VERA ZVONARËVA [9] lt. Sesil Karatantcheva, 7-5 6-3

If only Bepa hadn't been promoted to 9th seed and moved in the draw, she would have got a retirement from Mariana Diaz-Oliva, who was trailing 6-0 4-1 to Angelika Bachmann when she pulled out with a left-wrist sprain.

According to WTATour.com, Karatantcheva was "in great form"; according to Teletext, "the classy upstart was a class above her more illustrious counterpart".

www.wtatour.com: "After allowing an early one-break lead to slip away, Karatantcheva hung tough through 5-all, then broke in the 11th game and served out the first set at love. The 16-year-old, who is currently the youngest player ranked in the Top 100, made another late surge in the second set, going on a three-game tear from 3-all to close out the victory."

But did Bepa shed a tear as Sesil went on a tear? Sorry - couldn't resist! ;)

Bepa is now on a four-match losing-streak for the second time in 2005, and I estimate that her failure to defend her runner's-up points from Philadelphia 2004 will see her ranking drop from #27 to just outside the top 40 on Monday.

But a lower ranking may actually help Bepa by taking the pressure off her, and giving her more chances to pull off some upsets rather than suffer them herself.

------------
Second round
------------

Karatantcheva added insult to injury by losing 6-1 6-0 to Kveta Peschke in the second round. Did Karatantcheva play much worse in the second round, or was Bepa that bad? Sesil seems to love being fed bagels and breadsticks - particularly when they're made of raw dough! ;)

-------
Doubles
-------

VERA ZVONARËVA/ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA [3]:
1r + Jill Craybas/Jasmin Wöhr, 6-1 6-2
qf + Maria Fernanda Alves/Ahsha Rolle [Q], 6-2 6-4
sf - LISA RAYMOND/SAMANTHA STOSUR [2], 7-5 6-3

By reaching the semi-finals, Bepa and Elena have qualified for the WTA Tour Championships.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

ryotaru

posted on 7-11-2005 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote

Congrats Vera and Elena on qualifying for the YEC, good luck there!!!

I agree with robert, she looked so much happier playing doubles out there this week. It was so hard to watch her play singles like that on Tuesday. :( I hope she has a much better year in 2006.

BTW, her coach is real friendly, I was sitting behind him during Vera's doubles match on Saturday and he'd talk to my mom and I during changeovers. I wish both Vera and Lex the best for the future!
Nick_chicane

posted on 7-11-2005 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote

Vera's slipped to 40th in the rankings!! :(

robert

posted on 7-11-2005 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_chicane
Vera's slipped to 40th in the rankings!! :(

that´s horrible! It means that she definitely has to restart at the beginning of next year, but as already said by some of you, that can also be positive, so that she doesn´t have to defend that many points. I´m just trying to look on the positive side with all the negative things given during the last time.
Nick_chicane

posted on 7-11-2005 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah, but it also means she wont have a seeding for the Aussie Open!! Not good!! :(

sachalandkroon

Mood: Fine

posted on 11-11-2005 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote

Guys, I am still alive, just wanted to let you know:P
I didn't really feel like posting about Vera lately, just because I have nothing to post. I saw her only one time this year, that was in Rome at the beginning of the season. Who am I to judge when I didn't see anyhting at all? What a lousy season it was, I feel frustrated watching the masters in LA right now. I really really really hope there will be something to cheer for again next season. I hope you are all well. I didn't forget about you and about Vera, I am just very busy sometimes but I read the messages once in a while.

Take care.

There’s a somebody I’m longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone who’ll watch over me
I’m a little lamb who’s lost in the wood
I know I could always be good
If someone could just watch over me

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Sam

posted on 12-11-2005 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote

Vera will likely end the season at #43. She loses 67 points this week at L.A., and has dropped 1400 points since April (when she was #10).

Look at the structure of the rankings at this point:
* At the top end, only 3 players in a 1000 point range (4820-3820).
* Only 3 players in the next 1000 point range (3820-2820).
* Between 2820 and 1820 there are 6 players, with Dementieva at #7 and Myskina at #12.
* The next 1000 points encompasses #13 Dechy to Vera at #40 with 825 points; that's 28 players.
* That leaves about 1400 players crammed into the bottom 820 points.

It's going to be a hard climb back, not because of the points so much as because of the determined talent she will have to battle: e.g., Kuznetsova, Vaidisova, Hantuchova, Pennetta, Kirilenko, Mirza, Chakvetadze, Karatantcheva, Peng, Peer and Linetskaya, just to name a few.

Vera needs to come back rested, well, and determined (not usually a problem), and with a redirected passion. She needs to use that energy to pump herself up, not bring herself down, as we've seen too often. And preferably, playing not so many tournaments, altho that does not benefit her fans.

We know you belong back in the top 10, Vera.
Good luck in your doubles in L.A. today and tomorrow!

GO BEPA!!!
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top