Vera Zvonareva Forum - Russian Tennis Player - Two WTA titles holder - Go BEPA! Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: San Diego
Nick_chicane

posted on 1-8-2005 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
San Diego

Lets just hope for abit of luck this week!! Hopefully with sam there, he should be able to inspire Vera to a good performance!! :D

Looking forward to your reports as well!! :)

Vera,if your reading this,say hi to us guys! We'd really love to hear from you!
Vera Zvonareva,quite possibly the most beautiful girl in the world!!
Nick_chicane

posted on 7-8-2005 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote

Sam, what happened to the reports? I was hoping there would be something like what you did last time!! :(

I hear Vera injured her ankle in her doubles semi final and is now out of LA as well!! Did you see it?

Did you speak to Vera at all?

Sam

sad.gif posted on 7-8-2005 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote

This is the first chance I've had to get to a computer. You all know the bad news by now, but I'll start from the top.

Didn't see Vera until Tuesday, she was in the finals at Stanford, you know, but they lost that one. I saw her when they had an autograph session, and I gave her a copy of the messages from the forum.

In her singles match, Vera seemed to have troubles with her first serve, and her lobs. A couple bad choices of shots. And as Jose said, Mashona was playing very well. After the loss, she left off the other side of the court from me.

I saw her at practice a couple times. In her doubles match, her serves were better, her lobs were right on, and the groundstrokes were all working fine. I didn't see her fall, I was watching the ball. They were at 3-1, Vera hit a forehand, there was a return, and Elena netted her return, I think. Then I noticed Vera was on the ground. Lena ran over to her then ran and got some ice. The trainer was called and they helped Vera limp to the chair. She twisted her ankle badly. After about 5 or 6 minutes, they announced she couldn't continue and had to retire.

I saw Elena later and asked her about Vera. She told me Vera had to go to the hospital to get her ankle checked. She was sure Vera would be back for the US Open and maybe L.A. Last night I asked the WTA rep, and she said Vera pulled out of the L.A. tournament. She said Vera is on crutches and has an air cast on her foot. She thought the US Open was far enough away for her to be healed.

I'm hoping Vera stops down to watch the singles before she leaves, but if she's on crutches she may not.

Vera definitely needs a change of luck. She and Elena were definitely in the groove for winning that doubles match.
Nick_chicane

posted on 8-8-2005 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote

Well lets all hope it does recover quickly, we wouldnt want Vera to miss the US Open, even though her form isnt the best!! Its true what they say though, when your lucks out, its really out!! Its always seems like Vera tries to put a brave face on it all, but privately, it must be annoying her somewhat, she just cant do anything right!! She keeps stumbling across all these lowly ranked players that play out of their skins on the day they face Vera!! Look at Washington's result in the next round last week, it was 6/1 6/2 loss to Karatantcheva!! Quite obviously an easy win!! Then you get the injury when its looking like Vera and Elena could have had another title and it all combines to make an awful week!!

All you can say is just hang on in there cause theres little else you can do, no training can alter things!! :( We all just hope her luck will change soon!!

andrewbroad

posted on 9-8-2005 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Andrew's report / Vera's injury

=============
ACURA CLASSIC (San Diego, California, hard, WTA Tier I)
=============
Second round
------------

- VERA ZVONAR╦VA [8] lt. Mashona Washington, 6-4 4-6 6-4

Apparently Washington played very well, particularly her serve - although Bepa wasted several break-points in the third set. Bepa is now on a losing-streak of three matches in singles! :(

Scores-thread:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=182378&page=28

The match started at 14:54 PDT.

First Set
---------
ZVON * * *__@__ 4
WASH _* * *@ @* 6

Bepa serving 1-1: held after saving break-point at 30/40.
Confusion as to whether Bepa was 2-2 or 3-1.
Bepa serving 3-3: broken after wasting two game-points. :mad:
Washington serving 4-3: Bepa broke back on her 3rd BP! :)
Bepa serving 4-4: broken after leading 40/15. :(
Washington serving 5-4: Bepa saved two set-points, but Washington won the first set 6-4 at 15:46.

Second Set
----------
ZVON *@__* * *@ 6
WASH __@* * *__ 4

First 5 games followed the same pattern as Daniela's second set.
Bepa serving 2-0: broken after leading 30/0. :(
Washington serving 1-2: held after 0/30. :(
Bepa serving 2-2: held after saving BP.
Washington serving 4-5: Bepa broke to love to take the second set 6-4 at 16:29.

Third Set
---------
ZVON * * * *___ 4
WASH _* * * *@* 6

Washington serving 2-3: held after saving break-point.
Washington serving 3-4: held after saving break-point.
Washington serving 5-4: Bepa had 0/30, but Washington won 6-4 4-6 6-4 at 17:02.

WTA's Wednesday wrap (with Bepa photo):
http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_7715_rx.asp

---------------------
Doubles: Second round
---------------------

Match with no shortage of eye-candy! ;)
+ VERA ZVONAR╦VA/ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA [2] d. Elena Dementieva/Tatiana Golovin, 6-0 7-6 (7/5)

-----------------------
Doubles: Quarter-finals
-----------------------

+ VERA ZVONAR╦VA/ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA [2] d. Janet Lee/Peng,Shuai, 6-3 4-6 6-0

--------------------
Doubles: Semi-finals
--------------------

- VERA ZVONAR╦VA/ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA [2] lt. CONCHITA MART═NEZ/VIRGINIA RUANO PASCUAL [3], 1-3 (15/0) retired

I had to wait overnight to find out why Bepa and Elena retired so abruptly after taking an early lead (3-0 with one break became 3-1).

Bepa sprained her left ankle, and it sounds very bad according to Sam: Bepa had to go to hospital and now "is on crutches and has an air cast on her foot". :(

She has pulled out of this week's Los Angeles tournament. I wish her a speedy recovery - but more importantly, a full recovery.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member andrewbroad's Yahoo
sachalandkroon

Mood: Fine

posted on 9-8-2005 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:

Match with no shortage of eye-candy! ;)
+ VERA ZVONAR╦VA/ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA [2] d. Elena Dementieva/Tatiana Golovin, 6-0 7-6 (7/5)

Good point Andrew. We have to discuss something now that there's nothing to discuss.:P Nice word 'eye-candy'!

Thereĺs a somebody Iĺm longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone whoĺll watch over me
Iĺm a little lamb whoĺs lost in the wood
I know I could always be good
If someone could just watch over me

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top