Vera Zvonareva Forum - Russian Tennis Player - Two WTA titles holder - Go BEPA! Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Wimbledon
robert

posted on 17-6-2005 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Wimbledon

The draw is out:

Vera is seeded #11

1.Round Weingärtner
2.Round Peschke/Randriantefy
3.Round Schiavone/Martinez
4.Round Petrowa
and she´s in the quarter of Sharapova.

I think the draw is quite ok for her. There is no real tough opponent in the first 3 rounds, although it seems that on grass nearly every opponent can be a tough one for Vera. Petrowa is also out at Eastbourne already, so it seems that she´s also not too good on grass this year. Let´s hope that Vera will be able to show some performances like the one she did in the first round of Eastbourne.

What do y´all think about the draw?
Simon Meadows

posted on 17-6-2005 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote

Interesting draw. I actually think her toughest oponent here is Weingartner. She is very erratic but can produce some very big shots which can trouble any player on the tour. For me, this is the tough match. If Vera can get through this, she could do quite well. This is the big IF. I really hope she gets over the dissapointment of Eastbourne quickly. A think a real opportunity exists here if she can get over Weingartner. All the best Vera
Nick_chicane

posted on 17-6-2005 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote

It will all depend again on which Vera turns up!! It seems that if the draw is fairly easy then she finds everyway possible to lose so we cant get too excited by the sight of an easy draw!! If she plays like she did against Vinci, then we wont be going much further than the 1st round, if she plays like she did against Vaidisova, then we have a good chance!! It will just depend on which head Vera's got on for the 2 weeks!!

Vera,if your reading this,say hi to us guys! We'd really love to hear from you!
Vera Zvonareva,quite possibly the most beautiful girl in the world!!
andrewbroad

posted on 17-6-2005 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Re: Roberta Vinci

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_chicane
If she plays like she did against Vinci, then we wont be going much further than the 1st round,

But do you know how she played against Vinci, or do you just know the result?

I saw Vinci's matches against Myskina and Douchevina on BBCi, and she played much better than would be expected of a qualifier ranked #111. She served for a place in the final at 6-2 5-4 against Douchevina, but choked.

Oh - and there was a close-up of Bepa in the stands with Elena Likhovtseva in the third set of Vinci v Douchevina! :) Bepa was wearing a tracksuit; they were eating what appeared to be pieces of chocolate.

Vinci is an old-school player: she serves and volleys, she chips and charges on return of serve, and she was hitting a lot of one-handed sliced backhands. This kind of game is much more effective on grass than on other surfaces, and players aren't used to these kind of tactics these days.

So I think Bepa was unlucky with the draw at Eastbourne after all. Her Wimbledon draw looks promising: I believe she is as likely as anyone in her section to get to a quarter-final against Maria Sharapova, and what a mouthwatering match that would be! :)

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member andrewbroad's Yahoo
Nick_chicane

posted on 17-6-2005 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote

I followed the match on the online scoreboard and Vera struggled from start to finish, its an obvious sign that she didnt play well!!

cali

posted on 18-6-2005 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
I followed the match on the online scoreboard and Vera struggled from start to finish, its an obvious sign that she didnt play well!!

Her first serve percentage for the first set was horrible - around 37% if I remember it correctly.
Sam

smile.gif posted on 21-6-2005 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote

Only have time right now to jump in and say
"Good luck in your match against Marlene, Vera. You can do it!"

Hope to have time later to come back to the conversation.

GO BEPA!!!

PS to Nick: What have you been thinking? Even tho' you couldn't get to watch Vera play at Eastbourne, you should have gone to the venue during the qualifying matches -- Saturday and Sunday. Vera would most likely have been there on the practice courts! (I'm assuming those courts are open to the public as they are at most tournaments here in the US). Are you anywhere close to Wimbledon? If the travel logistics are feasible, you might be able to catch Vera practicing there in the evening.

PS to all: The US Open is a very fan-friendly site. While the 5 practice courts next to Arthur Ashe Stadium are closed (i.e., huge plastic curtains or tarps cover the fence surrounding them, blocking off 90% of the view; tho' you can catch the players entering and exiting them and talk to them if they are willing), the other practice courts are open just like the side courts at Wimbledon. And sometimes players practice on the other side courts that are not being used; and they are very accessible. The main thing: during the qualifying rounds -- the first week -- there is no admission charge. So if you can find an excuse to go to New York, that's the time to do it.
Nick_chicane

posted on 21-6-2005 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote

Sam, i live about 5 hours from Eastbourne so its not really feasible to go down in the hope that Vera might be practicing!! :D

Next year, im already looking into the possibility of combining Eastbourne with the 1st week of Wimbledon!! Its still very much up in the air at the moment but i'd like to do the whole week of Eastbourne and then go back up to London for the 1st week of Wimbldon, if i can, im gonna have some bloody good pics to post on here!!:D

Anyway, time will tell!! Good luck with your 1st round match today Vera, we want a big improvement!! :)

sachalandkroon

Mood: Fine

posted on 21-6-2005 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote

Exciting match! 1-1 in sets, 6-2 for Weingartner, 6-4 for Vera. Hope it turns out the way we want it to turn out. Go Vera!

There’s a somebody I’m longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone who’ll watch over me
I’m a little lamb who’s lost in the wood
I know I could always be good
If someone could just watch over me

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
cali

posted on 21-6-2005 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote

Great turn around from Vera folks! The final score is 6-2, 4-6, 0-6. Vera bageled Marlene in the last set. The second set was tense to follow. Vera broke Marlene only in the 9th game and that started her 8 game winning streak to take the match!

Vera had 2 aces and a winners/UEs ratio of 19/16.

Go Vera!
Simon Meadows

posted on 21-6-2005 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote

Yep. Well done Vera. Had me worried when I got home and saw the first set score. As you guys all read before, I was very worried about this opening match, but she has got through it. Now a chance for revenge when she takes on Peshke in the next round.
Nick_chicane

posted on 21-6-2005 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah, thank god shes through!! i was getting quite worried for a while there!! Im just settling down to watch the re-run of the match now as it wasnt shown live but their showing it on the BBC interactive service now so im even more happy now!! :D

sachalandkroon

posted on 21-6-2005 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote

Guys can't we get a little bit of money together to buy Daniilidou a statue.
She really made my day.:)
Looks like Vera wasn't really awake at the start of the match, but she came back and she won, that's what matters. I was not able to follow the last set on the net because I had to play myself, but maybe that was better than biting my nails in a hot computerroom.

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Nick_chicane

posted on 21-6-2005 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote

No, i hate Danilidou, she lost me money today!! :(

Like your new message at the bottom of your posts sacha!! :D

robert

posted on 22-6-2005 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote

I followed the first set on the scoreboard when I was at my office, but then I had to leave and buy some things, so I really was worried because I feared an early loss, and I felt with her, because it must be terrible to be 0:5 down so fast, but when I came home and saw the result, I was really happy.
Wow, the last 8 games in a row, that´s fantastic, so Vera really got into the match even if it took her quite a while. It must give her a big confidence-boost to win a match in such a style after that start.
http://weddingchat.com/images/smilies/clap2.gif

Today she will play her first round doubles match with Elena L.

Your new bottom-message is great, Sacha! So true!
Nick_chicane

posted on 22-6-2005 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote

Robert, it was actually the last 9 games in a row, it was from 3/4 down in the 2nd set!!

I ws lucky enough to watch the whole match as the very nice people at the BBC put a re-rum of the whole match on their interactive service after it had finished and it was a very strange match, as much as Vera lost the 1st set 6/2 strangely enough, she didnt play that badly!! I think she only racked up 8 unforced errors in that 1st set it was just that Weingartner played incredible!! Infact, Vera played pretty well for the whole match, she was fantastic in the 3rd as obviously the scoreline would show and now it time for revenge on Peschke!! We want a 6/0 6/0 Vera!! :D

The draw is looking pretty good at the moment too with Schiavone losing yesterday it means Vera would probably play Conchita Martinez in the 3rd round, which ok, is a tough match but by no means the worst she could have got!! Then probably Petrova in the 4th and we get to the 1/4 finals before we've really played a tough match!! Sharapova would be waiting then and boy, i would love Vera to beat her!! :D

cali

posted on 22-6-2005 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote

So it was the case of Marlene hitting her groove. I'm glad Vera was able to tough it out.

Vera and Lena will be playing at Court 8 against Alyona Bondarenko and Anastassia Rodionova. They're the 4th match.

Go girls! :)
sachalandkroon

posted on 22-6-2005 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote

The girls just won their match. 6-2, 7-5. Good result I think!

robert

posted on 23-6-2005 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote

Yep, a good result and a good start into the doubles.
And now let´s keep your fingers crossed for the match against Peschke today. It will be the 2nd match on court 4.
sachalandkroon

posted on 23-6-2005 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote

6-1 for Vera in the first set, this is almost looking like 'too easy'. Maybe she's just GOOD today:cool:

cali

posted on 23-6-2005 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote

Wow! Vera managed to lose again to Kveta! I'm disappointed because when Kveta raised her game (based on the online scoreboard) Vera did not seem to respond. :(

Final score: 1-6, 6-4, 6-3. Kveta-Vera

Oh well...Go Vera
Nick_chicane

posted on 23-6-2005 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote

She failed yet again when the sights of an easy draw are there!! This is another shocking defeat!! :(

sachalandkroon

posted on 23-6-2005 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote

Don't know what to say. Like I said the first set was too easy. Maybe it is better when she loses the first set. It looks like the fighting spirit flows out after winning the first one. But I what I have to say is that Kveta Peschke just came out of the very 'strong' Dutch eredivisie (competition). I believe her team was runner-up this year. Maybe she was a bit more warmed up than Vera.
Sometimes I wish I was a Davenport-fan, that would mean much more stability in my life, but when I look at Lindsay I am so happy and proud to be a Vera-fan.;)

By the way, Robert, did you know Yvonne Meusburger played Dutch competition as well?

Nick_chicane

posted on 24-6-2005 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote

It really is starting to turn into an awful year for us all!! I was so confident that Vera would push on this year and at least finishing it as a comfortable top 10 player!! It looked so good but i just dont understand whats happened!! Instead of looking up, were now looking down at whos gonna pass us!! I really hope we can now have a strong performance in the doubles to at least make this years Wimbledon abit more respectable!!

cali

posted on 26-6-2005 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote

Bepa and Lena defeated Hopkins and Washington 6-7 6-2 6-1.

Good luck on the next round girls!
robert

posted on 27-6-2005 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/traurig/sad-smiley-046.gif

It looked so well and turned out so bad. She lost the 2nd set on her own and the 3rd because of the heat once again.
So now let´s hope that she can at least play more good matches in the doubles here.

@ Sacha: I didn´t hear about that, there was nothing in the news here about that.
robert

posted on 29-6-2005 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote

Another win in the doubles: 6:4 3:6 6:3 against Bartoli/Sequera to move into the quarters. Who´ll be their next opponents isn´t yet decided.
Nick_chicane

posted on 29-6-2005 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote

Well at least we have a little something to smile about!! Good luck girls!! :)

cali

posted on 29-6-2005 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote

Great win ladies! Keep it up :cool:
robert

posted on 30-6-2005 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote

Today they´ll play their quarterfinal-match against Kuznetsova/Mauresmo. Good luck!
Nick_chicane

posted on 30-6-2005 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote

No they wont Robert!! lol........The good old english weather put pay to that!! :D

We'll see them tomorrow now!!

robert

posted on 1-7-2005 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:

Well, if the weather will be merciful! ;)
Nick_chicane

posted on 1-7-2005 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by robert
Quote:

Well, if the weather will be merciful! ;)

When is it ever not? lol

cali

posted on 1-7-2005 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote

rain delay...

6-3, 3-4 : Svetlana/Amelie - Vera/Lena

let's hope Vera/Lena win the 2nd and 3rd sets.

go ladies!

:)
Nick_chicane

posted on 2-7-2005 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote

Vera and Elena unfortunately lost their 1/4 final match!! :( They went down 6/3 6/7 6/1!! Looks like they used all their energy up on the 2nd set!! :(

Nick_chicane

posted on 4-7-2005 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote

Due to Vera's poor showing in the singles she has now slipped to 15th in the rankings!! :(

sachalandkroon

posted on 4-7-2005 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote

That's not something to be happy about. In fact we don't have a lot to be happy about lately.:(

cali

posted on 5-7-2005 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote

Cheer up guys! Vera's doubles ranking went up to 11. :)

I hope her drop in the singles rankings would force her to mature (i.e., less crying on court) and focus more on her game. It's really quite saddening and annoying whenever I remember the times when she loses her lead because she became too emotional.
robert

posted on 5-7-2005 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote

And in this year´s doubles ranking Vera and Elena are #8.

I hope she could and can use this two weeks (last and this) well for training and relaxing so that when the hard court season starts she will be able to show us and the world what she´s capable of.
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top