Vera Zvonareva Forum - Russian Tennis Player - Two WTA titles holder - Go BEPA! Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Linz
robert

posted on 24-10-2005 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
Linz

Well, Vera is on the list for Linz now (she wasnīt some days ago), so it seems that her shoulder injury wasnīt that bad.
The draw isnīt really good for her:

In the first round she will face Peschke and if she wins then there will be Dementieva waiting.

She will also play doubles together with Likhovtseva here. Today they are facing Beygelzimer/Jugic-Salkic.

I hope she has no more problems with her shoulder and that she can get into the 2nd round to face Dementieva. Did she ever play against her, I canīt remember.
Simon Meadows

posted on 24-10-2005 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote

Yeah, tough draw. Peschke first up is tough as Vera has already lost twice to her this year. Not easy at all. She played Dementieva in 4th rnd US Open last Year where Vera managed to lose the match because of her infamous temper and tear fest. It would be nice if she got a chance to face Elena but Kveta Peschke is hard enough as it is. All the best Vera
Sam

posted on 24-10-2005 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote

I was hoping Vera would be resting up for Philadelphia! Altho' she needs the points.

Vera's match is last on Centre Court tomorrow, the 6th match. A chance it could be moved to the Show Court, which has only 3 matches?

Elena D. wasn't on that list the other day either. At least, I didn't see her name. She's only 99 points behind Venus for the Porsche Championships, she needs to get into the finals (or the semis with strong opponents) to pass her to qualify. Plus Venus would have to have an early exit at Philadelphia.

GO BEPA! Time for revenge!!
robert

posted on 25-10-2005 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote

Vera and Elena L. won their doubles 1st round match yesterday in 2 sets. So letīs hope for revenge against Peschke today.

Quote:

A chance it could be moved to the Show Court, which has only 3 matches?

Well, I donīt think so. The match is already listed on Eurosport and TW1 with a start time of 7:50 p.m.
So itīs gonna be an evening match for Vera. Iīm already looking forward to watch it. It will be the first match of Vera after a looooong time that I will be able to watch on TV. I just hope that it will be a great TV-evening :)
Sam

posted on 25-10-2005 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah, I see that, now that I can get the Linz website. It was "not found" yesterday, and the WTA listing last night didn't show any "NB" times.

While the Linz site does not seem to have Live Scoring, it is available at http://www.sport1.at/pub/ticker/alte_ticker/tennis_at/Main.html
Looks like it needs to be manually refreshed.

Needless to say, there is no TV coverage here. The WTA needs to push for more broadcasting of women's tennis. (Only local broadcast of Philadelphia, as well. When I complained about that last year, someone at the WTA told me, "well, it's a smaller tournament." I said, "yes, but it decided which of 3 players would make it into the YEC.") A lack of imagination, I think.

Right now it's about 5:30pm in Linz. Razzano & Bammer just got underway a few minutes ago. Looks like maybe close to 8pm for Vera's match.

GO BEPA!!!
Sam

posted on 26-10-2005 at 04:59 AM Reply With Quote

The scoreline suggests a close match, I read that Peschke was behind in both sets. Did you watch it, Robert? I wasn't able to stay around to follow the live-scoring on the internet.

Vera needs to find a way to defeat Peschke soon, or it will become a psychological barrier for her.

Still going in the doubles though. Go BEPA!
Nick_chicane

posted on 26-10-2005 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote

Vera lead 4/0 in the 1st set and 5/3 in the 2nd and threw it away in both!!

Not good, what a year to forget!! :(

Vera,if your reading this,say hi to us guys! We'd really love to hear from you!
Vera Zvonareva,quite possibly the most beautiful girl in the world!!
AN

posted on 26-10-2005 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote

Well it was 5:2 in the first set and end up with 5:7. It was 5:2 in the second and it end up with 5:7. BTW Peschke beat Dementieva 6:3 7:5.

I would repeat my point. Vera need a rest. She is playing like crezy for three years now. No one is playing more. Well, last year only Jidkova played more..
robert

posted on 27-10-2005 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote

Yesterday was our national holiday here in Austria, so I havenīt been at my office and couldnīt post.
As I said, I wanted to watch the match, but because the previous matches lasted longer then planned, it got later then scheduled and at about 8:30 p.m. when the match before was over, our local station TW1 didnīt show anything anymore without comment (but the broadcasting was scheduled until 10:00 p.m.), so I assume that the match was moved to the show-court and already started earlier, but there were no cameras there.
But itīs ok for me now that I know how it went, because it must have been really hard to watch.
Too bad she has thrown it away in both sets, so Iīm glad that the season is already over, so that she can get a good rest for next year and hopefully this will gonna be a much better year for her.
Simon Meadows

posted on 27-10-2005 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote

Yeah, it was not such a good match. Glad I wasn't watching it. I agree with AN, I really think Vera should rest up now, but then again, she's still in the doubles and she and Elena have an outside chance of making the YEC.
One things for sure, next year Vera can enter less tournaments as she won't have as many ranking points to defend as she did from last year
andrewbroad

posted on 30-10-2005 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew's tournament-review

====================
GENERALI LADIES LINZ (Linz, Austria; indoor hard; WTA Tier II)
====================
First round
-----------

- Vera Zvonarëva lt. Kveta Peschke, 7-5 7-5

Bepa had suffered two nasty losses to Kveta Peschke already this year - one by an embarrassing scoreline, the other in 2r Wimbledon. I could only hope that these painful memories would motivate Bepa to produce one of her great performances.

Bepa led *4-0 and 5-2* in the first set, and 5-2* in the second - what a choke! :(

Bepa is now on a losing-streak of three matches, and has a 0-3 head-to-head against the player formerly known as Kveta Hrdlicková.

------------
Second round
------------

+ Kveta Peschke d. ELENA DEMENTIEVA [2], 6-3 7-5

I include this in my review because I feel that it vindicates Bepa's loss, and gives us an appreciation of how well Peschke was playing.

www.wtatour.com: "Dementieva, the No.2 seed in Linz, succumbed to the powerful baseline hitting of Peschke, falling 63 75. Peschke, who has been making her way back up the rankings in the last 18 months after undergoing two left knee surgeries in 2003 and missing over a year of action, came out firing from the outset, forcing Dementieva to all corners of the court with her powerful, flat groundstrokes and finishing off several points with deft dropshots."

Peschke: "Before the match I knew I had a very good chance to win, because I was playing very well in my first match. I am amazed at the way I am playing. I have beaten the two co-favourites. I did not expect anything like that."

Dementieva: "She played very well today. It was a tough first match for me; she was playing very aggressively, and hitting the ball very flat... I wasn't playing my best today, but I have to respect her game. She didn't allow me to get into a rhythm, and she deserved to win."

-------
Doubles
-------

VERA ZVONARËVA/ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA [3]:
1r + Yulia Beygelzimer/Mervana Jugic-Salkic, 7-5 6-3
qf + Tina Krizan/Selima Sfar, 6-3 6-2
sf - CONCHITA MARTÍNEZ/VIRGINIA RUANO PASCUAL [2], 7-6 (7/4) 6-1

In the semi-final, Bepa and Elena were up a break twice in the first set, served for it at *5-3, and had set-point at 5-4* and 6-5*.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member andrewbroad's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top