Vera Zvonareva Forum - Russian Tennis Player - Two WTA titles holder - Go BEPA! Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Telecom Italia Masters Roma
Sam

smile.gif posted on 13-5-2005 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote

A good win for Vera!!

Clearly, both players were struggling through this match. Fortunately, Schiavone had the greater problem. Struggling through a match, however, is good for refining one's focus, and Vera came through. Hopefully, this will have her ready for Mauresmo. Vera is 0-6 against her, and this would be a great time for a breakthrough. GO BEPA!!!

Schiavone was frustrated, and complained about Vera's "stalling," but she ended up complimenting her. Story from the tournament website:

Both women struggled to hold serve, mostly unsuccessfully, for a set and three games under a scorching Roman sun. Schiavone, clearly fired up after two wins against seeded players, served aggressively but suffered from early on due to wayward groundstrokes.

...In the second Zvonareva continued to send down heavy grounstrokes. She is not the nimblest of players on court, but when she got her weight behind the ball she used her racket like a club, powering shots down the lines with little topspin, particularly on the backhand side. Schiavone on the other hand whipped the ball high and scored a number of points with the dropshot.

From the fourth game both players began to hold their serves. Zvonareva seemed mentally uncomfortable and mumbled to herself constantly. Schiavone on the hand tried to will herself on with the help of the partisan crowd.

At 5-5 Schiavone complained to the umpire. Before the match she criticised the stalling tactics she said Russian players often used. "They drive me mad," she said.

Her aggression and drive were impressive but again in the second set tie-break she made a couple of key mistakes, which at this level is the difference between winning and losing a match.

Zvonareva is the number six seed in Rome. "Russian girls are tough," she said after the match.
sachalandkroon

Mood: Fine

posted on 13-5-2005 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote

It is so nice to see that we're all happy again guys. The launch of her official site seems to give her a real energy boost. Finally some stability in her game, finally a good result, but I saw Mauresmo play this afternoon and she was very (VERY) good. But let's keep our fingers crossed.

By the way, hi to you too Christopher.

Theres a somebody Im longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone wholl watch over me
Im a little lamb whos lost in the wood
I know I could always be good
If someone could just watch over me

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Sam

posted on 13-5-2005 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote

Here are the stats for the 1st and second sets. Not a pretty picture. But as they say, the mark of a champion is to come through when she's not playing her best.

Sam has attached this image:
rome5-13.gif - 16.98kb
andrewbroad

posted on 14-5-2005 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
She is not the nimblest of players on court,

What rubbish. Bepa has the best retrieval-skills I've ever seen, even if this has as much to do with racketwork and resourcefulness as sheer mobility. It's her remarkable ability to turn defence into attack, and produce wonderful shots when off-balance.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verazvonareva/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member andrewbroad's Yahoo
cali

posted on 14-5-2005 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote

Bepa and Lena won their doubles match too: 3-6, 6-4, 6-2. They'll be meeting Black and Huber again for the doubles semis. Amelie will be a tough opponent for Vera but I think Vera can match up with her.

I read in another board that Vera's and Francesca's match was very impressive and entertaining. It makes me wish that I had cable tv or that I am in Europe.

I agree with you Andrew, Vera has a good retrieval skills. It's one of the skills which won me over as a fan. :cool:

Go Vera! :)
sachalandkroon

posted on 14-5-2005 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote

6-2 6-4; Amelie is just too good at the moment I think.
But it is good that Vera got this far. Maybe a good preparation for Roland Garros. I didn't really expect her to win. Let's see what the match was like later this afternoon on Europsort.

Vera Zvonareva, quite possibly the biggest risk for people with a weak hart, but she's worth it!
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
cali

posted on 14-5-2005 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote

Vera lost: 6-2, 6-4. It seems that she hasn't found the way to take Mauresmo out. One positive thing was that Vera was able to control her emotions even when down 0-2 during the 2nd set (those who watched the match can correct me on this). This helped her get the lead 3-2. But sadly, Amelie fought back to re-take the lead 5-3 then gave Vera only one chance to hold serve (5-4) and finally finished the match.

At least Vera was able to find her game again and defend her points. Although it would have been nice had she marched into the finals.

Well, good luck on your doubles match later Vera/Lena L!

Go Vera! It's great to see your game back!
Nick_chicane

posted on 14-5-2005 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote

Unfortunately Vera just doesnt seem to be able to get one over on Mauresmo but we've got to be happy anyway cause its a semi final defeat instead of a 2nd round one and Vera looks to be playing an awful lot better than up to now!! Its great that her form has returned and even better that it comes just a couple of weeks before the French Open!! :)

Vera,if your reading this,say hi to us guys! We'd really love to hear from you!
Vera Zvonareva,quite possibly the most beautiful girl in the world!!
cali

posted on 15-5-2005 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote

Vera and Lena also lost their doubles match: 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. :( They were pretty horrible in converting the break points. It must be fatigue or Black and Huber really wanted to get their revenge for last weeks lost.

Good luck on your preparation for RG Vera! :)

Davai!
cali

posted on 15-5-2005 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures from Yahoo!

Here's one for you Francesca :P

cali has attached this image:
Vera2.jpg - 17.32kb
cali

posted on 15-5-2005 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures from Yahoo!

Why?

cali has attached this image:
Vera3.jpg - 16.72kb
Nick_chicane

posted on 15-5-2005 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote

I must say, it was great to see Vera smiling yesterday, even after the defeat to Mauresmo, she met her at the net with a big smile which i think is great to see cause there certainly hasnt been much smiling from her over the last few weeks so to see that shes enjoying herself again is great news!! :)

Sam

smile.gif posted on 15-5-2005 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote

Even with the loss to Mauresmo, Vera's had a very good week in Rome. As Nick noted, this was a semifinal loss rather than 2R, which is a great comeback from the previous weeks. Plus Amelie is ranked #3, so it's expected to be a tough match. Vera had a number of chances in the 2nd set, but could not benefit from the BP's presented her. It does appear Vera kept good control of her emotions, which is good news. Another opportunity to knock off Amelie at R-G, Vera! That victory will come!

Vera does indeed have great retrieval skills. She is not as quick as Amanda Coetzer was, but then no one on the tour has the mobility Amanda had. I have seen Vera let a couple shots go that I thought she could have gotten to, but that's easy to say when you're up in the stands. Even so, I've seen her get back many shots that appeared to be winners by her opponents, as Andrew says, even when she's off-balance.

Too bad they lost the doubles. I'm sure fatigue is a factor, because these have been closely scheduled matches to be doing 4 days in a row.

It appears that Patty Schnyder will pass Vera for Monday's rankings, bringing Vera back to #11. She will be 69 pts behind Schnyder. Vera is defending 80 pts at the French Open, while Schnyder is defending only 52. Vera will have a big opportunity there if she gets a decent draw. Last week we had 6 Russians in the top 10!! Let's do it again, Vera!!!

Alicia Molik has withdrawn from R-G, and Chanda Rubin is returning there in the qualies. Michaella Krajicek (Sacha!) also will be in the qualies.

Let's hope Vera can build on her progress at Rome and compound it at Paris.

I'll have a bit of a conflict at R-G. I've picked Vera & Elena D. to each win a slam this year. My early expectation was for Vera to take Melbourne, and Elena R-G. The return of the Belgians makes it more of a problem. Of course, we have Myskina defending R-G, and Sharapova defending Wimbledon, and Kuznetsova defending the US Open. There's room there for both Vera & Elena. My preference, of course, would have been Vera for AO, but anyway.......
Vera should get one of the three.

GO BEPA!!!
robert

posted on 17-5-2005 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote

It was a great week for Vera. Shes definitely back now and did great in Rome. Loosing to Mauresmo is no shame at all, especially when she is fighting till the end like she did. I got to see a bit of Veras last two matches and I really enjoyed it. Its also great to see her climbing in the doubles ranking. Shes already on position number 13 now!:)
paul

posted on 17-5-2005 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote

Hi everyone still alive,been having a quick browse now and then been busy long hours still supporting Our fav. Player good to see Her form coming back ,gotta go Boss coming with a big stick!:o
sachalandkroon

posted on 18-5-2005 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote

Hi there Paul, I wondered were you were lately. I asked it a while ago in this topic....
Glad you're back!:)

Nick_chicane

posted on 19-5-2005 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote

Yeah, good to see you again Paul!! Dont stay away quite so long next time!! :)

Pages:  1  2
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top